Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup medium-dice yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup medium-dice green bell peppers
- 2 1/2 cups medium-dice eggplant
- 1 cup medium-dice zucchini
- 1/2 cup finely chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large, wide, heavy-bottomed pot or rondeau over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until soft, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the tomato paste and cook until it completely coats the onions and deepens in color, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetables in the following sequence: bell peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes. Cook each vegetable until it softens, 2 to 3 minutes each, before adding the next.
- Add the salt, black pepper, and broth and reduce the heat to low. Allow the vegetables to stew; they should be moist but not soupy. Stew until the vegetables are tender and flavorful. Add the parsley, check the seasoning, and add additional salt and pepper, if needed. Serve immediately or cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight.