Makes about 1 quart
- 6 cups carrots, sliced 1/2” thick
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons julienned ginger
- 1/4 cup sliced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped, pitted dried dates
- 12 dried red chiles
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 3/4 tablespoon garam masala
- Combine the carrots, sugar, and vinegar in a large saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the carrots soften, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger and garlic. Cook until the mixture thickens and becomes sticky, about 10 minutes.
- Add the dates, chiles, raisins, and apricots. Return to a simmer over low heat.
- Mix in the garam masala. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Store in a covered container under refrigeration.