Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/2 lb haloumi cheese
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided use
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tomatoes (about 1/2 lb), peeled, cut into small dice
- 2 tablespoons brandy or cognac
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Cut the cheese into wedges about 3-in long and 1/2- to 3/4-in thick. Season the cheese with salt and pepper, toss in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and cook on a very hot grill
until slightly charred on both sides, 30 seconds to 1 minute per side. Arrange on a plate.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sweat the capers and tomatoes in the remaining olive oil until the tomato begins to get pulpy, about 5 minutes.
- Add brandy and lemon juice and cook until the moisture is evaporated. Add the chopped parsley and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Pour the tomato mix over the grilled cheese and serve immediately.