Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons hoisin
- 2 cups thickly sliced carrots
- 2 cups yellow turnip wedges
- 2 cups thickly sliced parsnips
- 1 fennel bulb, wedge cut
- 1 cup pearl onions, peeled, optional
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the oil and hoisin and heat in a roasting pan, add the vegetables, and toss until coated evenly. Season generously with salt and pepper. Pour the water over the vegetables.
- Cover the pan with a lid or aluminum foil and place in the preheated oven. Roast the vegetables until nearly tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the cover and finish roasting, turning the vegetables so that they cook evenly, another 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Serve at once in a heated bowl or on heated plates.