Makes 6 servings
Make this cranberry sauce up to a week ahead and store in the refrigerator. Use this recipe as a starting point to add your favorite flavors, like fresh apples, grated ginger, bourbon, or chopped walnuts.
- 1 lb cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup sparkling or still apple cider
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch kosher salt
- Combine the cranberries, apple cider, orange juice, orange zest, sugar, and cinnamon stick in a heavy saucepan. Cover and simmer over medium heat until the berries pop. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture has thickened, about 20 minutes. Cool fully before covering and refrigerating.