Makes 8 Servings
- 3 cups (12 oz) coarsely grated zucchini
- Salt, as needed
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped dill
- 1/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 3 ounces (1/2 cup) crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 cups olive oil for pan frying, or as needed
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated cucumber, squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint or dill
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt, as needed
- Fresh ground black pepper, as needed
- Place the grated zucchini in colander. Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 30 minutes. Squeeze the zucchini to remove as much liquid as possible. Dry the zucchini by pressing it between several layers of paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, scallions, eggs, flour, dill, parsley, tarragon, salt, and pepper until evenly blended. Fold in the feta cheese. (The pancake mixture can be prepared to this point up to 3 hours ahead. Cover tightly and refrigerate. Stir to blend before continuing.) Fold the pine nuts into the zucchini mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F to keep the pancakes warm as you work. Place a baking sheet in the oven.
- Add enough oil to a large skillet to come to a depth of about 1/8 inch, and heat the oil over medium-high heat until the surface of the oil shimmers. Working in batches, drop heaping tablespoons of the zucchini mixture into the hot oil, leaving enough room for the pancakes to spread as they cook. Fry until the pancakes are golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer each batch of pancakes to the baking sheet in the oven to keep warm. Serve immediately with the tzatziki sauce.
- Combine the yogurt, sour cream, cucumber, and garlic in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and fold in the olive oil, mint or dill, lemon juice, and zest. Stir until combined and season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.