Makes 4 servings
Matzo brei is a simple Jewish comfort food that's popular at Passover, or really any time of year! Every family makes this dish a little bit differently, and while we like to fry the matzo until it is crisp and toasty, you may prefer to leave it softer.
- 4 sheets matzo
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) salted butter
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Working over a fine mesh strainer, crumble the matzo into bite-sized piece. Run the matzo under running water until they are just beginning to soften. Set aside to drain.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the matzo and cook, stirring often, until the matzo is browned all over and crisp around the edges, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the eggs and salt, and cook, stirring frequently to break the egg into curds, until they are just set and scrambled. Serve right away.