Makes 8 servings
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 5 Hass avocados
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, plus more to taste
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- Soak the red onion in cold water for 5 minutes to take out the “bite.”
- Cut the avocados in half and carefully remove the pits. Cut the avocado into large cubes and scoop from the skin with a kitchen spoon. Place the avocado chunks in a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork.
- Drain the chopped onion.
- Add the lime juice, tomato (if using), scallions, red onion, and cilantro, and adjust seasoning with the hot sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Refrigerate the guacamole in a tightly covered storage container. It is best to make guacamole the same day it is to be served.