Makes 12 biscuits
- 3 cups all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup whole or low-fat milk plus extra for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Blend or sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter into the flour until it forms pea-sized pieces. Add the buttermilk and the milk. Mix just to combine the ingredients.
- Roll the dough out to a 1-inch thickness on a lightly floured work surface, fold in half, turn, and repeat 3 or 4 times for a final thickness of 1 inch. Cut the dough into rounds using a 3-inch cutter, rerolling and cutting the scraps until you have 12 rounds.
- Place the biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush the tops with a little milk to make the tops shiny, if desired. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool on wire racks.