Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup turkey or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of turmeric
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey thigh meat
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced cilantro leaves
- 2 cups cooked sticky rice, for serving
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over moderate heat. Add the shallot, garlic, and curry paste and cook until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Stir in about 3 tablespoons of the coconut milk. Allow to bubble for 1 minute, and add the remaining coconut milk, turkey stock, fish sauce, sugar, and turmeric. Stir again and simmer for an additional 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Add the turkey and bring to a simmer. Cook until the turkey is warmed through, about 4 minutes.
- Evenly divide the rice between four bowls and top with the curry. Garnish with basil and cilantro before serving.
Note: If the sauce is too thick, add a little water. If too thin, add a little cornstarch and water. To prepare this thickener, mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch to 1/3 cup water. Drizzle just enough thickener into sauce, stirring constantly, until it thickens slightly after returning to a boil.