Makes 8 mini calzones
These are classic calzone flavors perfectly kid-sized for a fun handheld movie-night dinner! Set out a variety of fillings so everyone can make their own, and don’t be afraid to try something new, like Buffalo chicken, taco pockets, or barbecue pulled pork!
- 1 lb Pizza Dough
- 1 1/2 cups chopped toppings, like veggies, meatballs, sausage, or pepperoni
- 8 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Marinara sauce, for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut your pizza dough into 8 pieces that are roughly even in size. Dust the pieces lightly with flour and, working one at a time, stretch the dough using your fingers until it a circle that’s about 4-inches across. It doesn’t have to be perfectly round.
- Place the circles on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Evenly divide your toppings between the circle, placing them in the center. Sprinkle the toppings with 1 tbsp of mozzarella cheese. Use your finger or a small brush to brush a light coating of egg around the outer edge of the circle.
- Fold the circles in half, enclosing the toppings and cheese within the dough. Use a fork to crimp the edges together.
- Brush additional egg all over the top of the calzone. Then use a sharp knife to carefully cut three small slits in the top of the dough (this will help keep your calzone from bursting).
- Bake until the calzones are golden brown all over, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly before serving with marinara sauce on the side.