Makes 5 servings
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 2 zucchini, cut on the diagonal into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 eggplants, cut on the diagonal into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into 3/4-inch-thick rings
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup seeded, medium-dice tomatoes (peeled, if you like)
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
In a large bowl, combine the vegetable oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of the garlic, the fennel seeds, and rosemary to make a marinade. Add the zucchini, eggplant, and onion and gently toss to evenly coat. Marinate the vegetables for 1 hour. Drain any excess marinade off the vegetables before grilling.
Preheat the grill for medium-heat cooking. Season the zucchini, eggplant, and onion with salt and black pepper. Place the vegetables on the grill and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn once and cook on the second side until the vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the grill.
Grill or broil the bell peppers until evenly charred on all sides. Transfer to a stainless steel bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let cool 30 minutes. Remove the skin, core, seeds, and ribs.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon garlic and the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the grilled vegetables, peppers, and tomatoes and stir gently to finish heating the vegetables through and to blend the flavors.
Stir in the vinegar and adjust the seasoning with additional salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2022 The Culinary Institute of America