Makes 6 to 8 servings
Fans of Indian food will find this Lebanese soup familiar as it is quite similar in flavor to the Indian condiment kheera raita, which is also made with yogurt, cucumber, and mint. As with kheera raita, the cooling quality of this soup makes it a wonderful complement or second course to spicy-hot foods.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 quart plain yogurt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 1/2 cups diced cucumbers (peeled and seeded)
- Salt, to taste
- Mix the garlic with the mint in a small bowl.
- Beat yogurt and milk together with wire whisk or with a hand blender on medium speed until smooth. Fold in the mint and garlic mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Combine the cucumbers with the yogurt mixture and lightly season with salt. Cover and chill for several hours or overnight.
- After chilling, recheck seasoning and adjust as needed. Serve in chilled bowls.