Makes 4 servings
Though fontina and blackberries are a great combination, you can switch up the fruits and cheeses to whatever you can find at your market. Freshly shredded cheese will melt best, but slices will work in a pinch, too!
- 1 pint blackberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 1 lb fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, combine the blackberries and thyme. Use a fork to lightly mash the berries so that no whole berries remain.
- Lay 4 slices of bread on your work surface and top each slice with about a quarter of the shredded cheese. Spoon dollops of the mashed blackberries of the cheese (you may not use it all), and then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the blackberries. Place the remaining slices of bread on over the cheese and press lightly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, if needed, add the sandwiches and cook until the bread is browned and the cheese is beginning to melt, about 3 minutes. Flip the sandwiches, adding more butter, if needed, and cook until the second side is browned and the cheese has melted. If the bread has browned before the cheese is melted, transfer the sandwiches to a baking sheet and place in the oven until the cheese is fully melted. Serve right away.