Makes 6 Servings
A hot bowl of chicken soup nourishes more than just our bellies, and this recipe is the perfect way to share your warmth and good cheer. Substitute vegetable broth and cooked black beans for the chicken for your vegetarian friends and family.
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups cups diced onion
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 7 six-inch corn tortillas, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 3 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup diced avocado
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small pot, sweat the garlic and onion in a small amount of the chicken broth until the onion is translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Purée the mixture in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
- Toast the tortilla strips in the oven until crisp. Set aside 1/2 cup of the strips for garnish and crumble the remaining strips.
- Combine the cilantro, tomato purée, onion purée, and crushed tortillas in large soup pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add the remaining broth, the cumin, chili powder, salt, and bay leaves. Simmer until the soup is flavorful, about 15 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Purée the soup in a blender or food processor. Serve the soup garnished with the chicken, cheese, avocado, diced tomato, and the reserved tortilla strips.