Makes 6 Servings
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 2/3 cups diced onion
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 7 six-inch corn tortillas, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 3 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup diced avocado
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small pot, sweat the garlic and onion in a small amount of the chicken broth until the onion is translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Purée the mixture in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
- Toast the tortilla strips in the oven until crisp. Set aside 1/2 cup of the strips for garnish and crumble the remaining strips.
- Combine the cilantro, tomato purée, onion purée, and crushed tortillas in large soup pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add the remaining broth, the cumin, chili powder, salt, and bay leaves. Simmer until the soup is flavorful, about 15 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Purée the soup in a blender or food processor. Serve the soup garnished with the chicken, cheese, avocado, diced tomato, and the reserved tortilla strips.
Copyright © 2019 The Culinary Institute of America