Makes 8 servings
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 cup small-dice white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup small-dice celery
- 1/2 cup small-dice carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- One 12-oz bottle beer
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard powder
- 6 cups grated sharp Cheddar (about 1 1/2 lb)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, warm
- Tabasco sauce, as needed
- Salt, as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- In a soup pot over medium heat, combine the oil and flour. Cook, stirring constantly, to make a pale golden roux, about 12 minutes.
- Gradually add the stock and whisk constantly to work out any lumps. Bring to a simmer and cook until the soup has deepened in flavor and has a velvety texture, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, celery, carrot, and garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Keep warm.
- While the vegetables are sautéing, in a small bowl, whisk together the beer and mustard powder. Pour the beer mixture into the simmering soup, whisking constantly. The beer will foam up a little bit—don’t worry.
- A dd the cheese to the soup and stir constantly until the cheese is melted and well incorporated. Stir in the cream. Season with Tabasco, salt, and pepper, stir in the vegetables, and serve immediately.