Makes 10 to 12 servings
This is a simple cake that is good for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Bosc pears are a good choice because of their lower water content. Make sure they are perfectly ripe. Consider swapping out the cinnamon for ground cardamom for a variation.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups pears cut into large chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly butter and flour a 10-inch cake pan.
- Sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter with the sugar until light in color and consistency, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until incorporated. Add the sifted flour mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Fold in the pears by hand, and pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Copyright © 2022 The Culinary Institute of America