Makes 12 servings
We love this updated take on the Waldorf salad, featuring crisp apples, tender mâche greens, and a tangy vinaigrette. It's great on its own as a light dinner, but it also shines as an unexpected side dish on your holiday table.
- 3 cups diced Fuji or Honeycrisp apples (about 2 apples)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 lb romaine lettuce hearts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 oz mâche (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups walnut pieces, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries (1 cup/240 mL)
- 1 cup (4 oz) crumbled Gorgonzola
- 1 cup Lime-Honey Vinaigrette, plus as needed to adjust seasoning
- Kosher salt, as needed to adjust seasoning
- Ground black pepper to adjust seasoning
- Toss the apples with the lime juice in a large salad bowl. Layer the romaine, mâche, walnuts, dried cranberries, and Gorgonzola on top of the apples. The salad can be assembled 4 hours in advance. Do not toss, but rather leave the ingredients layered. Store wrapped in the refrigerator.
- Toss the layered salad with the vinaigrette. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add more vinaigrette as needed.