Makes 4 to 6 servings Hibiscus tea (which is the primary ingredient in this soda) is slightly bitter, a little tart, and not at all sweet, so we balance it with a touch of honey. You can also serve simple syrup on the side for guests to sweeten, as they like. For a variation, omit the ginger and add 1/2 cup of lime juice to the steeped tea.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 4-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- Honey, to taste
- 1 cup sparkling water
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water, hibiscus, and ginger. Bring to a simmer, cover, and remove from the heat. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer and sweeten with honey, to taste, if desired. Allow to cool completely.
- To serve, pour into a glass over ice and top with about 1/4 cup sparkling water.
Copyright © 2019 The Culinary Institute of America