Makes 5 servings
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3/4 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 36 oysters, washed and scrubbed
- Knead the butter by hand (or place in a mixer with a paddle attachment on medium speed) until it is soft and pliable. Add the scallions, soy sauce, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and mix to combine.
- Roll the butter into a log that is about 1/2 inch in diameter. Slice into 36 equal portions and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat a grill to high heat.
- Place the oysters cup side down on the grill, and cook until they pop open, 3 1/2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the oysters from the grill and use tongs to carefully remove the flat side of the shell. Use an oyster knife or a butter knife to remove the oyster from its shell, taking care not to drain the liquid. Return the oyster to the shell and immediately top with a portion of butter. Serve immediately.