Serves 6 to 8
- 1 chayote squash, peeled and sliced
- 1 jicama, peeled and julienned
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced fine
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper as needed
- Dash of Tabasco to taste
- Bring about 1 inch of water to a rolling boil over high heat in a sauté pan. Add the sliced chayote and cover the pan. Pan-steam the squash for about 12 minutes or until the chayote is very tender. Drain it, and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking.
- Combine the chayote slices with all of the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Chill the salsa for at least 2 to 3 hours or overnight. Taste the salsa and adjust the seasonings with additional vinegar, salt, pepper, or Tabasco, as needed.