Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups Lillet blanc, or other sweet white dessert wine
- 2 cups water
- 8 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 pears, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise, and cored
- 6 tablespoons crème fraiche, plus more as needed
- Flaky sea salt (like Maldon), as needed for serving
- In a medium saucepan, combine the Lillet, water, cardamom, and sugars. Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add the pears. Simmer, uncovered, until the pears are tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pears and set aside. Increase the heat and boil until the cooking liquid reduces by about half, about 15 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve.
- Serve the pears in a bowl with some syrup and a dollop of crème fraiche. Sprinkle with salt just before serving.