Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 cup lentils, washed
- 6 1/2 cups chicken stock or water, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 onions, peeled, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 cups bulgur, coarse grain
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Boil the lentils in 3 cups of the chicken stock or water until tender, about 20 minutes. Reserve any residual cooking liquid.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat the butter and olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Slowly sauté onions, stirring occasionally, 1until caramelized, about 25 minutes. Reserve in pan.
- Bring the remaining 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or water to a boil, adding bulgur, residual cooking liquid, salt and tomato paste. Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, until the bulgur is tender and fluffy, about 20 minutes.
- Add the black pepper and red pepper flakes to the caramelized onions. Pour the mixture over the bulgur and add the lentils, stirring gently. Season with salt and pepper, as needed.
Copyright © 2019 The Culinary Institute of America