Makes 1 1/2 lbs
- Flourless cooking spray for greasing
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup whole or low-fat milk
- Large zest strips from 1/2 orange
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Lightly coat a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Cut two 9 by 16-inch rectangles of parchment paper. Lay one strip of the parchment in the baking pan, pressing it to the bottom and sides.
- Lightly coat the parchment with cooking spray. Lay the second parchment rectangle across the pan in the opposite direction to form a cross. Press the parchment to the bottom and sides of the pan and lightly coat with cooking spray. You should have a few inches of paper overhang on each side of the pan.
- Combine the sugar, cream, milk, zest, and vanilla bean in a large, heavy saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once the mixture begins to boil, add the corn syrup while continuing to stir. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a medium golden brown, 245°F on a candy thermometer, the firm ball stage.
- Pour the mixture immediately into the prepared pan, remove the vanilla bean and orange zest, and cool to room temperature. Using greased kitchen shears or a greased sharp knife, cut into squares.