Makes 4 sandwiches
- 1 pound jumbo (21/25) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup small-dice celery
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch ground white pepper
- 4 hot dog rolls (Eastern style—split on top)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add the shrimp, turn off the heat, and cover. After 2 minutes, remove the shrimp and place in an ice bath until cool.
- Cut each shrimp into four pieces.
- Combine the shrimp meat, celery, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Adjust seasoning.
- For each sandwich, open a roll, brush with butter, and toast on a griddle until golden brown.
- Divide the shrimp salad between the rolls and serve immediately.
Chef’s tip: Shrimp are sold in sizes or “counts” that are expressed in number per pound. For example, shrimp labeled “16/20” indicates the average number of shrimp per pound. Shrimp larger than 16/20 are denoted with a “U” for “under.” U-15 means that there are fewer than 15 shrimp per pound.