Makes 6 servings
This is the quickest way to make your whole house smell amazing, and you'll use this flavor-filled sauté over steaks, on sandwiches and burgers, or tossed into pasta.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus as needed to adjust seasoning
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms, caps and stems, sliced 1/4 in thick
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems and caps separated, caps sliced 1/4 in thick, and stems reserved to enrich stock, or wild mushroom mix, sliced 1/4 in thick
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper, plus as needed to adjust seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- In a large nonstick sauté pan, add the oil and butter and warm over medium heat until the butter melts and is foamy, about 2 minutes. Add the onions, salt, and red pepper flakes. Lower the heat to low and cook, tossing occasionally, until the onions are translucent and starting to brown, about 15 minutes. Move the onions to one side of the pan.
- Add the garlic to the empty space and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Combine and cook until the onions are golden, 10 minutes more.
- Put all the mushrooms and the thyme in the pan with the onions. Cook, tossing occasionally, until all liquid released from mushrooms evaporates and the mushrooms are tender and golden, 20 minutes. Add the wine and reduce to almost dry. Add the black pepper. Toss, taste, and adjust seasoning. Th e mushrooms can be cooked 3 days in advance. Rapidly cool and immediately store wrapped in the refrigerator.
- Add the chives. Toss, taste, and adjust seasoning.