Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 3 lb broccoli rabe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic
- 1 or 2 anchovy fillets, optional
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Wash the broccoli rabe and remove any tough stems and very large leaves. Blanch the broccoli rabe in the boiling water until it is bright green, about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse the broccoli rabe to stop the cooking. Squeeze dry and chop, if desired.
- In a sauté pan, heat the oil over low heat. Add the garlic and cook gently, stirring frequently, until the garlic is limp and barely golden, about 2 minutes. (Keep the heat very low to avoid scorching the garlic.)
- Add the anchovy fillets, if using, and smash them into the olive oil with the back of a spoon. Cook until the anchovy is dissolved, about 1 minute. Add the red pepper flakes and stir into the oil. Increase the heat to high, add the broccoli rabe, and sauté quickly until the broccoli rabe is very hot, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately on heated plates or in a heated serving bowl.