Makes about 2 cups
Homemade jam is such a special treat, and a wonderful gift. The process of canning and preserving is overwhelming, but you can skip that step with this recipe. Refrigerate just enough to use for a month or so, and then freeze the rest in plastic containers (some jar companies make plastic containers just for this purpose).
- 1 lb strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Put a small plate in the freezer.
- In a shallow skillet or saucepan, combine the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Bring to a a gentle simmer and cook until the berries begin to break down. Continue simmering until the jam is the proper consistency. To test the consistency, take a small spoonful of jam and place it on the chilled plate. Turn it on its side. If the jam runs slowly down the plate and sets to a desirable consistency, remove it from the heat. If not, continue cooking and test again (return the plate to the freezer, in the meantime) until you reach the desired result.
- Transfer to containers or jars and set aside to cool, then cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month or freeze for up to 6 months.