Makes 2 cups
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups whole pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Combine the egg white and water in a large bowl and beat until lightly frothy. Add the nuts and stir until completely coated. Drain well in a colander. Set aside.
- Combine the sugar, salt, and spices in a medium plastic or paper bag and shake to blend. Transfer the reserved nuts to the bag and shake until the nuts are completely coated. Turn the nuts out on a baking sheet and spread out in a single layer. Bake for about 10 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 225°F, and bake, stirring occasionally, for another 10 minutes, or until the nuts are dark golden brown. Let cool completely before serving.
Chef’s Note: Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 10 days.