- 8 beets, green tops trimmed
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 40 orange segments (skin removed, see note below)
- 1/2 cup red onion julienne
- 1/2 cup shelled walnut halves
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the beets in a baking dish, add about 1/4 inch of water, and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Roast the beets until tender, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, and slip off their skins. Cut the beets into quarters.
- Blend together the olive oil,vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper. Toss the beets in the dressing while they are still warm.
- Alternate the dressed beets with the orange slices on a serving platter or in a large serving bowl, topped with slices of red onion, shelled walnut halves, and crumbled goat cheese.
Note: To prepare citrus segments, cut away both ends of the fruit. Using a sharp paring knife, follow the curve of the fruit and cut away the skin, pith, and membrane, leaving the flesh completely exposed. Working to release each segment and keep it intact, slice the connective membrane on either side of the segment.