Are there age requirements for classes?
Anyone who is 18 years or older can participate in hands-on classes. We also offer a variety of parent and kid classes for different ages. Wine and beverage classes are open only to participants 21 years and older.
Are single-day, hands-on classes for the beginner or experienced cook?
Our hands-on classes are a great fit for every experience level. Our expert instructors will walk you through the entire day, making you feel at ease in the kitchen with your fellow students.
Are Boot Camps good for the non-experienced cook?
Our only pre-requisite for Boot Camp is a passion for food and a willingness to learn. If you enjoy cooking and want to enhance your skills, we have a camp that is right for you.
Will we be eating the food we prepare?
Yes! In our hands-on classes, including Boot Camps, half the fun is eating the food you’ve worked so hard to prepare. If you are participating in a Baking or Pastry Boot Camp, lunch will be provided.
Is food served in wine and beverage classes?
Depending on the class, we will often serve a cookie or crackers as a small snack with the class. Food and beverage pairing classes do have both food and beverage for participants.
Do you offer accommodations for dietary/allergy restrictions?
We do! Please note that our kitchens are not allergen-free, so please notify us of your dietary restriction at the time of registration.
How many people are in each class?
Class size varies depending on the program and campus. Boot camps range from 12–18 people. Hands-on cooking and baking classes range from 16–18 people. Beverage classes typically range from 25–60 people. Our goal is to provide the best learning environment for all guests.
Where do I park? When should I arrive for my class?
Approximately two weeks prior to your class, you’ll receive an email from us regarding the particulars of your class, including timing, parking, location of class, etc.
I am traveling and need overnight accommodations. Where can I stay near CIA?
We’ve got you covered! Check out our list of preferred hotel partners near each of our campuses.
Is there a dress code for classes?
- For our non-kitchen classes, there is no dress code.
- For Boot Camps: loose-fitting trousers; closed-toe, non-slip shoes, no sandals; shirt to wear under chef’s jacket; chef’s jacket will be provided.
- For single-day classes: long pants; closed-toe, non-slip shoes, no sandals; long sleeve shirts preferred; NO shorts, tank tops, open-toe shoes, sandals or high heels.
Will an apron and other cooking attire/equipment be provided?
Yes! An apron, side towels, and chef’s hat will be provided. A chef’s jacket will be provided for Boot Camp participants. Equipment needed for class will be made available for use during your program. We also offer tool kits at a special Boot Camp price.
Are your kitchens wheelchair accessible? Do you offer accommodation for disabilities?
Our kitchens are not wheelchair accessible. We are able to provide reasonable accommodations. Please let us know how we can best assist you.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
- Single-Day Class Cancellation Policy: Please notify us if you are unable to attend your class. While registration is non-refundable, if it is more than seven (7) days prior to the date of your scheduled class, registration may be transferred to another class of equal value being held within the following three (3) months, subject to availability.
- Boot Camp Cancellation Policy: You are eligible for a full refund for Boot Camp cancellations with notification at least 60 days before your class start date. Cancellations more than 30 days before the start date will receive a 50% refund. Cancellations within 30 days of class start date are not eligible for refunds. All refunds will be applied to the original payment method used.
- Class Cancellation by CIA: CIA may occasionally cancel a class that has not met the minimum enrollment requirement. These classes will be cancelled at least 21 days before the start date, and you will be notified by phone and email. Additionally, if a class is cancelled by CIA for any reason, you will receive a full refund to your original payment method. CIA is not responsible for travel costs associated with the change.
Are reservations required to dine at your restaurants?
To provide the best dining experience, reservations are strongly recommended for our restaurants. Walk-ins are welcome at Post Road Brew House on our New York campus (open January–April) and The Grove at Copia in Napa. Reservations are not offered for Apple Pie Bakery Café on our New York campus; Lunch Box at Copia in Napa, CA; The Bakery Café at Greystone in St. Helena, CA; and CIA Bakery Café (open January–April) in San Antonio, TX.
How far in advance do I need to make a reservation?
Reservations can be made up to 60 days in advance of your dining date through OpenTable. Depending on the campus you are visiting and the restaurant you choose, reservations can fill up quickly—so we recommend trying to make your reservation one–two weeks before your desired dining date.
Can you accommodate allergies and dietary restrictions?
Yes! We will always do our best to accommodate allergies and dietary restrictions, if possible. Please add a note to your reservation when reserving through OpenTable and make sure to tell your server upon arrival. Please note, our kitchens are not allergy free, but we take allergies very seriously, and will do what we can to prevent cross contamination.
What is your tipping policy?
At our campus restaurants in New York, California, and Texas students are not permitted to accept tips, in accordance with IRS regulations and the CIA Student Code of Conduct. However, we do include a 20% Student Support Surcharge on each check which is returned to our students through scholarships.
At our restaurants at CIA at Copia, you will be served by industry professionals, and tipping is welcome.
Is there a dress code for your restaurants?
There are no dress code requirements for guests in our restaurants.
What forms of payment do you accept?
To provide you with a better experience and make payment easier, our restaurants have gone cashless. We do accept all major credit cards and CIA gift cards.
Are your restaurants wheelchair accessible?
Yes, our campuses and restaurants are wheelchair accessible. Please let us know how we can best assist you.
What types of events can I host at CIA?
Whatever event you are looking to plan, our team can help. Plan your wedding, birthday, anniversary, graduation, office party, corporate event, meetings, team building, or conference at CIA in Hyde Park, NY; Napa, CA; and St. Helena, CA.
Do you offer in-house AV services, or do I have to hire an outside company?
Our event spaces are fully equipped with state-of-the-art AV equipment—perfect for meetings, presentations, conferences, and more.
I’m ready to plan my event. Where do I start?
Let’s connect on your event! Learn more about our options and venues.
Where can I buy a CIA gift card?
CIA gift cards may be purchased online or by calling 845-905-4533, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. ET. Near a campus? Visit one of our CIA restaurants or stores to purchase a CIA gift card.
How can I use a CIA gift card?
- Dine at any of our restaurants in New York, California, or Texas.
- Register for a Boot Camp or single-day class.
- Shop at Spice Islands® Marketplace in St. Helena, CA or Marketplace at Copia in Napa, CA.
- Book a tour at New York campus or CIA Greystone in St. Helena, CA.
Please note that CIA gift cards are not valid at the Craig Claibourne (Barnes & Noble) Bookstore at the New York campus.
Why should I register my gift card?
Registering your card ensures that if it is lost or stolen, we can quickly replace it. Register your card.
Are there any fees associated with my gift card?
There are no fees associated with your CIA gift card.
I lost my gift card. What can I do?
If you have registered your CIA gift card, we can easily replace it at its value at the time the loss is reported. Simply call 845-905-4533, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. ET and a representative will assist you.
I have an old CIA gift card. How do I find out if I can still use it?
In accordance with the New York State Abandoned Property Law, the Culinary Institute of America is required to remit all CIA gift card balances that have been inactive for five years and either were purchased by a New York resident or where the card has no contact information regarding the purchaser. Any New York State gift cards that were purchased prior to December 10, 2022 that have unused funds need to be turned over to New York State after five (5) years. Gift cards purchased on or after December 10, 2022 that have unused funds after nine (9) years will be turned over to NYS Unclaimed funds. Guests who believe there is a balance on a CIA gift card are asked to contact the State of New York Unclaimed Funds, Office of the Comptroller at 1-800-221-9311 with their CIA gift card number.