Makes 9 griddlecakes
These savory griddlecakes are one of our favorite diabetes-friendly recipes, using a whole wheat baking mix for a little extra convenience. Any salt-free, dried herb mixture can be used in these savory griddlecakes. Serve them with extra sautéed mushrooms on top if desired.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup whole wheat instant baking mix
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Parisian fines herb mix (chives, dill, basil, tarragon, chervil)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 ounce grated hard cheese (Parmesan works well)
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and sweat. When they have released some of their liquid, stir in the onion and cook until the onion is soft and translucent and mushrooms have released most of their liquid. Remove from the heat and stir in the zucchini. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat a nonstick griddle to medium (about 300°F).
- Combine the baking mix, salt, sugar, and herb mix. Whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Add to the dry mixture and mix to combine. Stir in the zucchini mixture.
- Use a half-cup scoop or ladle to portion out the batter onto the nonstick griddle. Cook on both sides until golden brown. Top with the grated cheese and serve.
Copyright © 2023 The Culinary Institute of America