Makes 4 servings
To make perfect balls from the watermelon flesh, press a melon baller tool, also known as a Parisian scoop, into the watermelon and twist it to remove the ball of melon. If you do not have a melon baller, or just want to save time, cut the watermelon into 1-inch cubes instead.
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups watermelon balls
- 1 cup thinly sliced seedless cucumbers, peel on
- 1 head Boston lettuce
- 3 tablespoons julienned radish
- Soak the onion slices in ice water for 2 hours to soften the flavor and make them crisp.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, 1 tablespoon of the mint, and the red pepper flakes in a bowl and refrigerate while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Remove the onion from the ice water and pat dry with paper towels. Combine with the watermelon and cucumbers in a large bowl.
- Wash the lettuce and remove the leaves, being careful to keep the leaves whole. When ready to serve, add the vinegar mixture to the melon and cucumbers and stir to coat.
- Arrange 2 lettuce leaves on each of 4 chilled plates to form a cup shape. Fill each of the lettuce leaf cups with watermelon and cucumber salad. Garnish each plate with the radishes and the remaining mint.