Makes 8 Servings
- 4 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 rice paper rounds, 12-inch diameter
- 8 small cooked shrimp (30/35 count), peeled, deveined, and halved lengthwise
- 1/4 bunch cilantro leaves
- 4 oz rice noodles
- 2 cups carrot julienne
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus as needed
- 1/2 bunch green-leaf lettuce, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup mint leaves (or rau ram), torn in thin strips
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- To make the dipping sauce: Combine the fish sauce, sugar, water, vinegar, chili sauce, garlic, and lime juice to make a dipping sauce. Mix well and chill if made ahead of time. The sauce may be held for up to 24 hours.
- To make the salad filling: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the rice noodles, stir once or twice, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain the noodles and then rinse with cool water until they are chilled. Drain well and set aside.
- Toss the carrot julienne together with 2 teaspoons salt and let sit for 10 minutes. Rinse in cool water to remove the salt and squeeze out the juice from the carrots. Set aside.
- Combine the rice noodles, marinated carrots, lettuce, and mint to make the salad filling. Set aside.
- To assemble the salad rolls: Combine the warm water with the sugar in a bowl. Place the rice papers, one at a time, in the water until they soften, about 10 seconds. Remove the rice paper, blot on paper toweling, and transfer to a work surface. Spoon 1/2 cup of the salad filling in the center of each rice paper. Roll the rice paper around the filling halfway. Put two pieces shrimp and two or three cilantro leaves on the inside of the unrolled part of the wrapper and finish rolling. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
- Cut each roll in half and serve on chilled platters or plates with the dipping sauce.