Makes 8 servings
- 6 ounces pinto beans, canned
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chipotle peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup aged cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen, cooked
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Rinse the beans under cold water and drain. Mash the beans with a fork and reserve. In a medium saucepan, sweat the onions and garlic in the oil until translucent, about 2–3 minutes.
- Add the rice and sauté briefly, about 1 minute.
- Add the stock, tomato paste, vinegar, chipotle pepper, cumin, pepper, paprika, and cayenne. Bring the stock to a boil and cover the pot tightly, turn the heat to low and cook for approximately 15 minutes until rice is tender.
- Fold the mashed beans, cheese, and corn into the rice, and garnish with cilantro.
Copyright © 2019 The Culinary Institute of America