Makes 4 cups
- 2 cups cauliflower florets (about 1/2 head small cauliflower)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut into coins
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoon minced red onion (optional)
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Black beans, for serving
- Tomato, diced, for serving
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, add the cauliflower, water, carrots, and cashews, and cook on medium-high heat, covered for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the carrots and cauliflower are very soft. Pour the cooked mixture into a strainer over the sink and drain the extra cooking liquid, reserving the liquid in a bowl.
- In a blender, add the cooked mixture along with ¼ cup of the cooking liquid, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, salt, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and mustard powder into your blender. Blend until smooth. Add more cooking liquid, if needed, until the desired texture is reached.
- Scrape out the blender contents into a mixing bowl and top with the minced onion, if using, and cilantro. You can serve at room temperature or keep the queso warm on the lowest slow cooker setting.
- Serve with tortilla chips, black beans, and tomatoes.