Makes about 1 cup
An infinite variety of flavors can be created by adding extracts, liqueurs, or fruit juices to this simple and easy-to-make recipe. For a vanilla dairy-free or vegan version, substitute any unsweetened milk alternative.
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk, plus more as needed
- In a small bowl, mix together the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Add the milk and stir to combine. If necessary, add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the glaze is smooth and fluid.
- With a fork, drizzle the glaze over the pie or tart. If garnishing with nuts or decorative sugar, add the topping immediately before the glaze has time to set.
Lemon Icing Glaze: Follow the recipe for Vanilla Icing Glaze, substituting 2 teaspoons of lemon juice for some of the milk in step 1.