Makes 1 1/4 lb
You can find a troccoli tool online or at specialty stores, but these can also be cut by hand. Use the same recipe to make maccheroni alla chittara (spaghetti) using a chittara tool, which uses wires to cut sheets of dough into strands.
- 7 oz (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons) semolina flour
- 7 oz (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose or tipo 00 flour
- 4 large eggs
- Combine the flours and eggs by hand or using a machine. Knead until all of the ingredients are well combined and the dough is smooth and elastic. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap or place it in a covered bowl and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Dust a work surface with flour. Cut off pieces of dough about the size of an egg. Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll the dough with a pasta machine or with a rolling pin into sheets about 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut the sheets into pieces about 10 inches long. Cut into noodles using a troccoli tool or cut them by hand with a knife into noodles about 1/4-inch thick.