Yields 1 quart
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, plus more as needed
- 1/3 cup minced onion (from about 1/4 medium yellow onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 1/2 tsp)
- Two 28-oz cans whole peeled plum tomatoes, seeded if desired
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and roasted red peppers. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. Use the back of a wooden spoon to crush tomatoes.
- Add both vinegars and continue to simmer until the mixture has thickened, about 40 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt, cayenne, and additional brown sugar, if needed.
- In a blender, purée the mixture until very smooth, and strain as needed.
Copyright © 2019 The Culinary Institute of America