Makes 2 pints
- 3 pounds tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot, combine the tomatoes, sugars, and salt over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 10 to 15 minutes. Skim away any foam that rises to the surface as the fruit cooks.
- Stir in the vinegar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens, about 3 hours.
- Pour the jam into prepared pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Seal the jars and process for 10 to 12 minutes. Store in a cool, dark place.