Makes 4 to 6 servings
Tuna is a very popular fish in the south of Italy. We prepare this recipe with a few simple ingredients also typical in that area, including capers, lemon, and red onion. Since the tuna remains partially raw, it must be as fresh as possible.
- 1 lb tuna
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon capers in salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sea salt, as needed
- Lettuce leaves, for serving
- Trim the tuna to remove any skin or very dark portions. Use a sharp knife to cut the tuna into very small dice. Transfer the tuna to a clean, cold bowl. Keep it very cold if you are not planning to serve it right away.
- If you want to tame the bite of the red onion (taste a piece first!), put them in a bowl of cold water and let them soak for about 15 minutes.
- To prepare the salt-packed capers, put them in a small bowl with enough warm water to cover them generously. Let them soak for 10 minutes, and then rinse them under cold running water. Mince the capers.
- Add the onions, capers, mint leaves, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt to the tuna just before serving it. Stir them in gently and serve on a bed of lettuce.