Makes 8 servings
- Place the pork shoulder, ribs, onion, garlic, and bay leaf in a Dutch oven. Season with salt and cover with water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and reduce to a simmer. Partially cover and simmer until the meat is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the cover and increase the heat to medium-high. Simmer until the liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.
- As the meat begins to render, turn the heat down to medium-low and allow the meat to fry until it is browned and crispy, about 30 minutes. Remove and drain on a towel-lined tray. Once it is cool enough to handle, remove any bones and discard. Season with salt, to taste.
- Warm the tortillas on a comal or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Remove and keep warm in a warmer or clean towel.
- Serve the carnitas with the warm tortillas, avocado, diced onions, salsa, radish, cilantro, and lime wedges.