Makes about 2 dozen cookies
Use this recipe to make classic sugar cookies or follow the variation directions to make Snickerdoodles, like in the photo.
- 1 lb (4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, gently blend the butter, sugar, and salt on medium speed until combined, 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the eggs and vanilla, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar together. Add to the creamed mixture and mix on low just until combined. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets using a #40 scoop about 1 1/2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with your hands.
- Bake until the cookies are golden around the edges, about 8 minutes. Rotate and switch the baking sheets as necessary for even baking.
- Allow the cookies to cool for a minute on the baking sheets then transfer, using a spatula, to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container.For Snickerdoodles: Replace half of the granulated sugar with light brown sugar. After scooping the dough, refrigerate until firm. Roll the chilled cookies in cinnamon sugar to coat. Flatten and bake as directed above.