Makes 4 servings
Sticky Rice 2 cups sticky rice, soaked for at least 4 to 6 hours or overnight 1/3 cup coconut milk 1/2 cup sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or as needed 2 pandanus leaves, tied in a knot Coconut Topping 1 cup coconut milk 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste…
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups sticky rice, soaked for at least 4 to 6 hours or overnight
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or as needed
- 2 pandanus leaves, tied in a knot
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice flour
- 2 tablespoons mung beans, soaked in hot water for 1 hour
- 2 mangoes, thinly sliced, or as needed
- For the sticky rice: Drain the soaked rice and place in a steamer lined with cheesecloth. Steam until the grains are soft, 20 to 25 minutes (20 minutes if the rice was soaked overnight).
- While the rice is steaming, combine the coconut milk, sugar, salt, and pandanus leaves in a bowl and mix well. Microwave or heat for 2 minutes to dissolve the salt and sugar; strain and set aside.
- When the sticky rice is done, transfer from the steamer to a bowl. While the rice is still hot, add the coconut milk mixture. Using a rubber spatula, stir to coat the grains quickly and evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 15 minutes to allow the rice to absorb the sauce.
- For the coconut topping: Combine the coconut milk, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. In a bowl, blend the rice flour with 1 tablespoon of water and mix well to dissolve the rice flour. While the coconut sauce is simmering, slowly drizzle in the rice flour slurry and stir constantly. Return to a boil, immediately remove from the heat, and set aside.
- Drain and pat dry the mung beans. Toast in a nonstick saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until they are light brown and crispy, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
- To serve, place a small amount of sticky rice onto a plate with the mango slices arranged on the side. Pour 1 to 2 tablespoons of the coconut topping over the sticky rice and sprinkle with the toasted mung beans.
Copyright © 2022 The Culinary Institute of America