Makes 8 servings
- Cover the beans in enough water to cover. Set aside to soak overnight.
- Heat the oil in a saucepot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture forms a paste.
- Add the garlic and chorizo. Cook until the chorizo has browned and rendered its fat. Add the cumin, paprika, bay leaves, and a pinch of pepper.
- Drain the beans and add to the pot. Add fresh water to cover the beans by 2 inches. Bring to a low simmer and cook until the beans are tender. Add more liquid as needed to keep the beans covered.
- Remove the bay leaves and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add the chard and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve the beans topped with a poached egg and garnished with cilantro.