Makes about 2 dozen cookies
- 1 lb (4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, gently blend the butter, sugar, and salt on medium speed until combined, 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the eggs and vanilla, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar together. Add to the creamed mixture and mix on low just until combined. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets using a #40 scoop about 1 1/2 inches apart. Refrigerate until firm.
- Cinnamon sugar: whisk together the sugar and cinnamon until there are no lumps.
- Roll the chilled cookies in cinnamon sugar to coat. Flatten slightly with your hands.
- Bake until the cookies are golden around the edges, about 8 minutes. Rotate and switch the baking sheets as necessary for even baking.
- Allow the cookies to cool for a minute on the baking sheets then transfer, using a spatula, to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container.