Makes 10 servings
These crispy plant-forward party snacks just happen to be vegetarian and vegan, so they’re the perfect recipe for every crowd! For some heat, add a light smear of Korean gochujang before rolling.
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, divided use
- 10 oz tempeh
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons peeled and minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- Egg wash, as needed
- Pinch kosher salt
Apricot Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves (no sugar added and all fruit)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled and minced ginger
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a blender or food processor, blend 1 tablespoons of the sesame seeds, tempeh, scallions, sesame oil, soy sauce, cornstarch, ginger, and garlic until the mixture forms a coarse paste.
- Cover the phyllo dough with plastic wrap and then a dampened kitchen towel. Remove only 1 sheet of phyllo at a time as you work, to prevent the phyllo from drying out.
- Brush 1 sheet of phyllo dough generously with grapeseed oil. Stack another sheet on top and brush with oil again. Repeat with 1 last piece of phyllo.
- Cut the stack of phyllo in half lengthwise, and then arrange one half with a long side nearest you.
- With dampened fingers, shape about 3 tablespoons of the filling mixture into a narrow rope along the edge nearest you, then roll up the paste tightly in the phyllo to form a long, thin roll.
- Repeat with the other half of the phyllo stack, and then repeat the whole process with the remaining 3 sheets of phyllo dough.
- Lightly brush the top of the sticks with egg wash, and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds and kosher salt.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each roll into 5 sticks and place, seam side down, onto the prepared sheet pan. Bake until the phyllo is golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the dipping sauce. Serve the sticks warm with the dipping sauce.