Makes 4 servings
- 1/4 cup dried hijiki seaweed
- Water, as needed to soak hijiki
- 1 cup bonito stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon shichimi togarashi
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Soak hijiki in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Drain and cook hijiki in bonito stock until desired texture. Drain and cool down.
- Season with the remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Strain for use.
Chef’s Note: Shichimi Togarashi is a spicy Japanese seasoning blend, which includes chilies, sesame, orange peel, nori and more.