Makes 4 Servings
- 4 ounces whole fresh beets
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped dill
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound 4 ounces sea scallops, muscle tabs removed
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1/3 cup julienned carrot
- 1/3 cup julienned daikon radish
- Place the beets in a large sauce pot and cover with two inches of water. Add 1/2 tablespoon of the cider vinegar, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, slip off the skins using a towel and chop. Purée the chopped beets and the remaining 1 tablespoon cider vinegar in a blender until smooth, adding additional vinegar or water as needed. Add in the olive oil and season with the dill, salt, and pepper and pulse to blend. Set aside.
- Dry the scallops with paper towels. Heat the canola oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Sear the scallops until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- Toss the greens, carrots, and daikon radish with some of the beet vinaigrette.
- Arrange the scallops with the greens and vegetables and drizzle remaining beet vinaigrette around scallops.