Makes about 3 dozen cookies, depending on the size of the cookie cutter
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Royal Icing, as needed for decorating (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed, scraping the sides as needed, until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and beat until well-combined. Add the flour and beat just until combined.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to about 1/4-inch thick and cut out using any cookie cutter. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm and just beginning to brown around the edges, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before decorating, if you like.