Makes about 3 dozen cookies, depending on the size of the cookie cutter
You are an artist, and the holiday cookie plate is your canvas! This year, we would like to give you the gift of sugar cookies that are easy to make, hold their shape when baked, and are genuinely tender and tasty, so even if you aren’t really an artist, your cookies will be everyone’s favorite gift this year!
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Royal Icing, as needed for decorating (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed, scraping the sides as needed, until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until well-combined. Add the flour and beat just until combined.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to about 1/4-inch thick and cut out using any cookie cutter. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm and just beginning to brown around the edges, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before decorating, if you like.